Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Monday June 21, 1999 at 16:29
Jeff
Historic Forum Post
This is a pretty interesting discussion. Bickering over which device makes it easy to control equipment we are too lazy to get off the couch to control. Seems kind of ridiculous.

The bottom line here is there are two discussions taking place that should not be mixed together:

1) What is the best remote control solution in a given price range.

2) What is the best remote control solution available.

It sounds like 1) In the $200 and under price range, the Palm Pilot "wins" and 2) The Pronto is the best remote period. Due to the significant price difference the devices aren't in the same category so why even try to pit the two against each other except just to point out one device has features that are similar to features in another.

I, like many, just want to truly no longer rely on my five remotes and replace it with and easy-to-use universal that I won't have to replace in 6 months when I purchase a new piece of A/V equipment or DSS system, etc., AND not pay a price that is expensive as some of the components I am trying to control (which came with remotes in the first place.) If only the labels on the Sony were more customizable. Maybe purchasing the Palm Pilot just to use as a remote (and telephone directory for when I am sitting on the couch and want to make a call) is indeed the best choice?

The Palm Pilot is a computer that can be used for different purposes. Maybe the cream of the crop sole-purpose device will always be better but I like the flexibility and longevity of having a TOTALLY programmable device.

Hosting Services by ipHouse