The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Monday June 14, 1999 at 23:25
PDD
Historic Forum Post
Dan K.

I appreciate your backing of the Palm Pilot, however, there is no battle between the Palm and the Pronto. The Pronto wins outright. For those who have the money to buy the Pronto, buy the Pronto! End of story!

You brought up some good points about the Palm, but in the end, the Pronto can do it better. Now, for the budget minded person (although I still find $200 remote, budget minded...I had to draw the line somewhere though...), the Palm is an excellent choice. Compare it with other remotes you can buy for $200 and there is no competition as far as functionality and flexibility goes.

Steve Fox,
You are correct in saying that the Palm should not be used for both Organizer and Remote. It just won't work. But, my point is, using the Palm, buying the Palm, for solely a remote, makes an excellent URC.

As you stated, "Now I do own a Pronto - thanks to the excellent info provided here by Daniel Tonks. who runs this Site for free for everyone. What exactly have you, Dan K or PCC, ever done for anyone besides PCC advertising the Pilot in every message?"

Daniel Tonks does an excellent job with this site. In fact, believe it or not, this is how I came to choose the Palm as a remote, because I saw what it could do compared to the other choices available. But the latter part of your message??? I've heard of cyber sex, but cyber butt-kissing?...c'mon. That statement had nothing to do with the topic. I don't think anyone has doubted Daniel Tonks integrity for this site.

Daniel Tonks,
Sigh, is correct. I don't know how many times I've said this, but there is no competition between the Pronto and the Palm. The Pronto wins in all categories. And until someone else comes out with software for the Palm which is slicker or as slick as the Pronto, it will always be this way. If you are thinking of buying the Pronto or the Palm, and money is not an option, buy the Pronto. If you wish to save money, and don't need all the bells and whistles, buy the Palm. They are capable of the same things.

Doliver,
It's true you have to add the booster to boost the IR signal, however for $40 more, you can get an attachment which mounts on the front of you Palm, which will convert your IR signal into RF. This way you can control your hometheater/stereo/tv/etc., anywhere in your house. You do not have to point it at any device. This is what I have done.

Here is my position on the Palm Pilot:

*There is no remote with more capability and functionality available for $200. It is the best in it's price range for those reasons.

*The Palm Pilot continues to drop in price on a monthly, if not weekly basis. As it does, it's value will increase as an option for a remote control.

*Do not use the Palm Pilot as an organizer and a remote. It will be too difficult to do both.

*I would recommend this to people who are a)within the $200 price range, b)will use it as a remote control as first priority, c)and probably most importantly, can't afford or justify spending the extra cash to buy the Pronto!

Hosting Services by ipHouse