Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Monday June 14, 1999 at 15:21
doliver
Historic Forum Post
Daniel is right, there isn't really much point to this thread anymore, but I'll throw in my thoughts anyway.

I own a standard Palm III and I've used Omniremote, but I still lust after the Pronto. I think Omniremote is impressive -- I never realized I had my universal remote sitting on my desk all this time. Even without the IR booster I was able to get about a six foot range out of the Palm III, which really isn't too bad.

But while it is impressive, it's not flashy. And really, aren't we all looking for something flashy and cool here? We already have the remotes to do the job, we're just hobbyists looking to do it better and have more fun doing it.

For those of you using the Pilot for control, have you played with a Pronto? Download ProtoEdit and some of the sample CCFs and look at some of the fantastic things people are doing with their Prontos. Omniremote isn't even in the same class.
To me, the graphics and versatility of the Pronto make it worth the extra $100. In fact, even though I already own the Pilot, I don't plan to use it. If I could get 10 feet out of it, I might spend $20 for the software and use it as a stopgap measure, but I don't think it's worth spending $40 for the software and the booster, because I've seen what the Pronto can do and I'd rather save my money until I can afford one of those.

Hosting Services by ipHouse