Dave Houston
RF Expert
October 2001
On 07/24/04 16:48, augusty said...
Is there an easy solution?

No.

Its all because of that "CCF" file, the "Pronto"
and "PDAWin"

It has nothing to do with the file format. It is a matter of hardware.

electric dogs
compact flash card has dissapeared off the market.

It disappeared because the company making the bare printed circuit cards more than doubled their price, the distributor supplying the CF card frames and covers changed their minimum order from 100 to 5000 (probably because PDAs no longer have CF slots), and because Dell was planning to add CIR capability to their PDAs. It no longer made economic sense. It was designed to fill a niche. The niche disappeared.

Ok thats off my chest, twice, any help ideas will
greatly be appreciated. (This was a stem from
another thread on "PCF Software" but I felt it
warrented the attention of a new discussion)

The market is too small to justify marketing an X-10 RF transmitter module to work with PDAs. FCC certification tests would cost 3K-5K. X-10 uses a different RF frequency outside N. America so those costs would be doubled.

For X-10, your best route is to add a 310MHz RF transmitter module to a Pronto.
  • [Link: embed-x.com]

Z-Wave uses a proprietary format and non-standard RF frequency (I think its 904.15MHz in N. America). They want developers to several thousand dollars for their SDK. If you plan to do Z-WAve you'll need to buy one of their dedicated remotes.

Another route would be to use the Global Caché GC-100. You can send TCP strings to it from a PDA (you will need a wireless access point or router) and have it send IR or RF.
  • [Link: mbx-usa.com]

This message was edited by Dave Houston on 07/24/04 17:18.

• Hosting Services by ipHouse