Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Friday September 3, 2004 at 11:03
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 09/03/04 03:02 ET, jabone said...
how to assign functions to the hard buttons on my toshiba

First, start with page 6 of the Total Remote manual which discusses rudimentary setup of hardware buttons.

Read it? Great. Let me elaborate.

The hardware buttons functions are limited by the particular kind of device you are working with. The buttons can only be assigned commands from a preset list, and this list varies depending on the device. For example, VCR devices can assign functions like fast-forward and rewind, while TV devices would not have those options but would likely have options not found on a VCR.

The button assignment itself is based on using a skin that adheres to the standard mask pallete, so that when you select "volume +" in the list of hardware button options it will trigger the volume + button/mask in your skin. This obviously works for all the standard skins, but if you have custom skins that do not follow the standard skin design guidelines and use non-standard mask colors the hardware buttons will not work.

Please note this sucks. My bad. Sorry. You can't make software perfect the first time. :)

v3.0 will include two decent variations of this; you will be able to learn an IR command to any hardware button (independant of any other configuration, overriding any previously set behavior) and you will be able to "symbolically link" hardware buttons with on-screen buttons, which will completely eliminate both the limitation of functions and the reliance on standard mask colors.

other thing that is happening is that when i put
the tivo codes in they seem to double. is there
anything i can do about this.

I find that I can cure this by learning the remote using an abnormally short or abnormally long keypress when learning. Sometimes I have found devices that only need a "normal" press of their own remote control's button to achive the desired effect, but when I learn the command using a "normal" keypress I can either get no signal/sporadic signal or doubles and triples (sort of opposite problems, yet very related). Try it both ways; sampling with an extra-short tap of the keys and with an extra-long hold of the keys and see what your device likes best. One-shot learning is great for this kind of experimentation, since you can test the button right away.

BTW, the method of using One-shot to rapidly test learned codes was not stupid, but is non-optimal, so in v3.0 there will be a button right on the learning screen so can can try it INSTANTLY and continue tweaking if needed.

Hope this helps.

--Don, Master Of Writing More Documentation On RC.com Than In Our Own Manual

Hosting Services by ipHouse