Post 5 made on Friday September 17, 2004 at 13:50
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 09/11/04 08:27 ET, tanguy75 said...
Well, I mean i'd love to do program everything
on the computer and just upload files on the remote
when job is done. I think this might possible
using cff files (including learning IR codes)
but not using the standard mode or TR.

This is the single greatest limitation of Total Remote's native mode. Griffin briefly experiemented with making our own skin editor and code editor just like ProntoEdit, but we were forced to anbandon the project due to resource constraints.

I would be really tempted to try to get such a product created, but it seems pointless in a world that already offers Tonto et al. Now, if some ubergeek wants to take the project on, I will certainly support it (and swag ya like mad from Griffin stock).

YES, well I'll try :)

Yeah, that worked!

That sounds like a cool idea. I will see if we can cram it into v3.0

When the macro runs, it displays all the actions
executed.

It may be more insidious than that. If you program a macro with buttons that have no IR code, you will find that macro runs very fast. It may be that the delays are not as obvious as might seem; they may be coming partially or wholly from the time used in the IR code. My reference Sony DVD player uses 32mS command bursts and 13mS pauses, and generally shoots out three at a time (no matter how quick you tap the button). so that is a MINIMUM of 135mS per press. If I take the example of pushing 9 buttons, I get 1215mS just for the IR to be transmitted. If I include a pause between each command of even 10 mS that adds 80mS more delay.

Then, to make matters worse, we are not handling the IR entirely correctly in the current release version, so where I should sample my Sony remote and get 3 bursts I actually get 6 (virtually all IR codes are improperly doubled; some devices are very sensitive to this and some like my Sony DVD player could care less). Also, in testing I was not able to get the burst "sixlets" any closer than 90mS apart, and that was using a button press of 5mS and a delay of 5mS (other values were even worse). The math is getting sick:

45ms code x 6 = 270mS
Min burst spacing = 90mS
Next sixlet = 270mS

Total time = 630ms to do what should have taken less than 200mS.

We clearly have some work to do. Note that your example value of 50mS per command would only have any function if that was as long as it took Total Remote to send it MORE THAN ONCE. Since this is sort of a "timed trigger" metaphor I figured I could set the button press to 1mS, but that doesn't work due to what looks like a bug in handling values of 1, so transmission loops over and over (need to fix that too).

My wish would be an option "display macro running
[yes/no]" in the preferences.
This might allow saving a lot of time. Don't you
think so ?

It shouldn't save any time at all, if it all works correctly. Since it is not working right, and this is not the problem... eh... I'll let you know when we fix it.

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse