December 2002
On 09/23/04 10:34 ET, barend said...
Don,
Wish you made some progress on the repeating command
issue.
It can be solved, as Netremote has proved with
their Sep.14 beta.
Barend

Barend, I feel bad asking this for what I know must be the 8000th time, but if you could summarize the problem I might be able to get it fixed with the release of the v3.0 version. I _know_ we have discussed this before, but I did suffer a computer crash recently and lost several months worth of Total Remote E-mail and production notes, so I am trying to recreate the list and anything you could tell me would be helpful.

FYI, this problem is not solved in the imminent v2.2 release. It turns out this was far more complicated than it would seem, so we were forced to turn our attention to some critical updates and hold off on solving the repeating key issue until v3.0. The bulk of the problem is that virtually every aspect of the Pocket PC is temporarily shut off while we transmit, so this means it is not possible to sample a hardware or software button during transmission (this is not a real-time OS we are dealing with). The simple solution would be that after each transmission we could sample the buttons and see if the same button was held down as last time, and if so send it again. Lather, rinse, repeat. It is probably a really bad idea for me to discuss this in such detail as any competitor could adopt the same approach or improve upon it, but Total Remote is developed in almost complete isolation (we don't do market studies, we don't host user forums, we don't poke our head out of the sand) that I feel like I have to air it all in the hopes that someone has a clever idea that could help. :/

--Don, Senior Ostrich on Total Remote

Hosting Services by ipHouse