The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Thursday September 30, 2004 at 16:05
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 09/29/04 22:43 ET, Carlos Rendon said...
Hey Don,

After doing some research ( and calling viewsonic)
i found out the the viewsonic ppc has an audio
frequency of 20khz.

I would imagine that any such answer you would receive from some guy on a tech support line will be whatever he has been told by his superiors, and not necessarily entirely accurate or in-depth. Virtually all audio devices intended to reproduce music cite their performance in terms of "20Hz-20KHz plus or minus 3db". This is far from revealing, and in many cases not even true. One of my very favorite ODMs of Pocket PCs uses audio hardware that can only accurately reproduce frequencies out to less than 12KHz (!) and yet it "sounds" almost the same as other audio devices. I would not be even slightly surprised if the poor tech support drones at that company have not been given the exact audio specs, but merely told that it is "20 to 20" like most other gear.

I got my Viewsonic ppc to
work with the audio transmitter,

This alone proves that the Viewsonic is capable of reproducing a high-frequency signal, although it does not indicate what the power output at that frequency would be. Audio devices typically start rolling off amplitude the higher the frequency, so the only question is just how much is that rolloff and does it assure/preclude the potential for the Total Remote audio transmitter to work? Nothing but my test gear can say for sure.

but i only works with my samsung VCR,
it doesn't work with my DishNetwork
DVR, my XBox, or my LG TV. Can you please tell
me why the don't work?

If I knew that I would be omniscient. I have seen your beta test reports, and I know that the TRBeta guys are working with you to figure out why. Not to undermine their efforts, but I will toss out my top three reasons this might not work for you:

1. Your gear uses control signals that cannot possibly be reproduced by the audio transmitter.

2. Your Viewsonic's audio performance is worse than we might think, and giving very borderline results.

3. We screwed up the software.

Since the TRBeta guys tell me IrDA has worked on some of those same devices for you, this tends to eliminate #3.

And if the ppc has an audio
frequency of 20khz about how much range should
I get with the transmitter module

That question cannot be answered with that piece of information. It is a mix of issues ranging from high frequency reproduction and rolloff to voltage output of the headphone amplifier. No written specs will likely ever answer this question, only thorough tests (MY TESTS) could.

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse