Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 10/19/04 00:09 ET, kpavey said...
I just downloaded TR2.2 for evaluation. Looks
impressive so far. Why only a 3 day trial - I
really doubt I'm going to get to know the features/benefits
of this package in 3 days, especially given complexities
of Bluetooth thrown in. How about a week or two?

One word: marketroids. Some of our people think a lengthy trial period will more likely translate to a loss of interest therefore a lost sale. Of course, the inverse is that a overly-short trial period may not give a person a fair chance to evaulate it, especially if they are going to try to cram a few minutes of usage here and there into a busy life. The marketroid's theory is that the 3-day trial will force a user to get serious about evaluating the software and not piddle with it just to see what the menus do.

I guess its a good thing I'm an engineer and not a marketroid. I might not be wired to think like that. ;)

Will TR link via Bluetooth to my HTPC to control
the various IRs programmed into the skins?

No, just CIR control.

Can TR emulate keystrokes ilo IR learning to execute
commands for each programmed button? I had a quiz
through the v2.2 user guide but couldn't see this
directly - perhaps through ccf files?

I don't quite understand the question. :/

Secondly, getting a 'dongle' (frequency doubled
antenna) is $30US shipping on the TR website to
Australia - I can't imagine why that is so expensive.
That's more than the software!

The product we have on our web site is the full "retail" package which includes both software and hardware. We do not list an option for purchasing just the transmitter on our web site, so you may have gotten confused. I am pretty sure we do not even have the transmitter in our ordering system as a seperate option, nor do I know what it would cost. Perhaps you should send an E-mail to [email protected] and ask them how you would buy JUST the transmitter part.

Do you have an Australian agent?

Not that I am aware of, sorry.

I have an Ipaq 1940 which has the IR widget on
the side of the device, so I doubt this will suffice
(although the couch is only about 10ft from the
HTPC). No CIR port unfortunately.

Even more to the point, using a 1900 series iPaq, it will be absolutely impossible to use the IrDA port for ANYTHING. Due to differences in the way things are handled on the TI OMAP CPU there is no CIR app on the market that works with the IrDA port, so you cannot use it for either output or learning. I have a 1910, and Total Remote does run in every other way, so I tested our audio transmitter and found it worked very well! One of the problems is that the 1900 series uses a 2.5mm connector, while virtually all other PPCs (and the Total Remote transmitter) use a 3.5mm connector, so you would have to use an adapter, which makes for an annoyingly-long assembly.

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse