those who have sold out to a larger company with
specific plans for CIR, and those who try to develop
a product with more functionality than you might
get with the pre-loads.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm. Lacking such a set-top box, I have no idea
what kind of functionality such a feature would
need. :/

I was thinking of the two above. Something like integrating programing schedules into the remote. Also having connection to a db containing movie, director, actor info like imdb based on the program or movie currently being watched (ie the set top emiter thing)

I was just generally asking if you knew of a way to get the data from a set top box like a sci atl box and allow a two way interface with an emiter. (ie i would know what channel I am currently on what program was on that channel and what other data about programming was downloaded to it) The idea being an interface through the RJ45, serial port, output composite, output svid or between the cable in and the box so that no hacks to the box would be required and any user could just attach the device. I know that there are apps like XMLTV but this wouldn't help with the "what channel am I on now" issue. I realize this could be captured when a specific channel was punched in but not when scrolling as you would always need to know a starting point (I realize this could be accomplished by starting at a given channel and incrementing decrementing when up down is done etc.)

Anyway..........

Actually, as a GUI I see no problem with that
approach. What I meant to say was that it would
be impossible for the IR algorithms and such to
run fast enough in a browser to generate sub-millisecond
timing. The glory of a hypothetical "command-line"
GUI-less Total Remote is it should be accessable
by any kind of interface, no matter how relatively
slow.

Exactly. That's the idea.

Well this would be overcome with the api which would preload the codes for execution (and only those codes being used for the interface). Then when the id for the specific button was sent it simply fires the code for that id. No matter what method you use there has to be the interface so not sure how that approach is any less effiecient then an image mapped png. I am thinking that an image file that is (3 * n) where n equals number of screens is a lot larger and slower to load than some transformed text and or smaller reused images. Additionally using that approach (png) limits the interface to having only two states for a given button and changing screens is slllooowwww.

An aside is that while a browser may be something to use it certainly isn't the required platform something could be written in vb or java or any other language/platform someone wished to use as long as it is xml capable.

As a company that still thinks of itself as "Maccentric"
there is no chance we will ever use an ASP server,
totally for political reasons. We almost switched
over to the hosting services run by a very large
desktop computer manufacturer, but we backed out
when we realized what a bloodbath it would be
when our userbase (and Apple) found out. We went
with a crappy local ISP that uses Apache on a
Linux box for our server. :/

I understand....

Feel free to direct positive feedback to [email protected]
and make sure you specify you want it passed on
to the Chief Operations Officer and the owner
of the company, and it will get forwarded to both
of them. If they choose to share it with my R&D
manager or myself I'll let you know. ;)

I sent a glowing comment. I did however forget to ask it to be forwarded. Let me know if you hear about it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse