The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Thursday October 14, 2004 at 17:05
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 10/13/04 04:15 ET, flipper2000 said...
I would think this would grow over time too though.
Also I would think that additional features integrated
into it would expand the market.

We expect the interest in having a remote control with your Pocket PC to expand, but the likelihood of a CIR application being embedded in the ROM, like Nevo, would be what I fully expect to happen. In less than 2 years I predict there will be those who have sold out to a larger company with specific plans for CIR, and those who try to develop a product with more functionality than you might get with the pre-loads. While many people currently buy third-party web browsers and Office file viewers the vast majority of people are satisfied with PIE and Pocket Word/Excel. Expect CIR to follow suit.

Any thoughts on two way communication (set top
boxes etc)

Hmm. Lacking such a set-top box, I have no idea what kind of functionality such a feature would need. :/

I would say your being hard on yourself.

I do that, but it comes from the myopia to working "alone" and hearing nothing but negatives from certain members of this company. Some days I get quite depressed over it. That must have been one of those days. ;)

Sure why wouldn't something like below work? remember
I don't know much at all about IR. The info below
is not real obviously I am also sure it is not
formed as it should be by someone like you. But
I am fairly confident that it can be described
well with xml.

Actually, as a GUI I see no problem with that approach. What I meant to say was that it would be impossible for the IR algorithms and such to run fast enough in a browser to generate sub-millisecond timing. The glory of a hypothetical "command-line" GUI-less Total Remote is it should be accessable by any kind of interface, no matter how relatively slow.

Your core would I guess be an api that was xml
aware and when called execute the function described
by the xml and probably return some xml.

Exactly. That's the idea.

As I said I would be willing to design it but
can't justify hosting it. (would need to be asp
platform).

As a company that still thinks of itself as "Maccentric" there is no chance we will ever use an ASP server, totally for political reasons. We almost switched over to the hosting services run by a very large desktop computer manufacturer, but we backed out when we realized what a bloodbath it would be when our userbase (and Apple) found out. We went with a crappy local ISP that uses Apache on a Linux box for our server. :/

Again thanks for your time, responsiveness and
patience.

BTW anybody in particular to contact or just something
through your site thanking them for having the
good sense to hire someone like you.

Feel free to direct positive feedback to [email protected] and make sure you specify you want it passed on to the Chief Operations Officer and the owner of the company, and it will get forwarded to both of them. If they choose to share it with my R&D manager or myself I'll let you know. ;)

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse