Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Tuesday November 16, 2004 at 16:31
gartneg
Lurking Member
November 2004
Hi Don.

Thank you for your very detailed reply.

I've spent some time testing Total Remote with various devices and have varying degrees of success. See the list below for the ranges by device:

- RCA rear projection tv (P56830BL): 5 feet.
- Bell Expressvu Satellite Receiver (5100 - equivalent to a Dish 501): 8 ft
- Harman Kardon Receiver (AVR85): * Unable to control
- Sony CD Player (CDP-CX200): 30 ft
- NEC CRT projector (9PG-Xtra): 6 ft

Since I am able to control the Sony CD player from 30ft, the audio transmitter seems to functioning correctly. It may be more likely a problem with the Total Remote infrared-to-audio algorithm.

You suggest using the built-in IrDA as your primary transmitter. Unfortunately, since the e740's IrDA is on the side of the unit, that really isn't an option. I have tried testing Total Remote using the built-in IrDA and it seems to work from about the same range as the audio transmitter. Neither method controlled my Harman Kardon receiver.

I am very interested in trying your idea of playing audio files (bypassing the Total Remote infrared-to-audio algorithm) to see if that works. Perferably with the Harman Kardon receiver. Is it possible that a flaw in the infrared-to-audio algorithm could affect the range of the audio transmitter on some devices? If so, perhaps we should try testing with audio files on some of the other devices listed above.

How do the LEDs on the audio transmitter compare to the LEDs in a standard tv remote as far as the spread of the beam? From what I have observed, you seem to have to be fairly precise when you point the PDA at a device to control it. With a standard tv remote, you don't have to be near as accurate (reflecting off a wall or ceiling will even work). For example, if I use my universal remote to control by CRT projector, I just point the remote at the screen and the beam reflects back to the projector and is able to control it. When I tried this using my PDA (with both the built-in IrDA and the audio transmitter), neither method controlled the projector.

Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Glen
Glen

Hosting Services by ipHouse