The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday November 8, 2004 at 15:15
gartneg
Lurking Member
November 2004
I recently purchased Griffin's Total Remote software and IR Extender to use with my Toshiba e740 PPC. The software is great. I've tried both the native mode as well as the CCF mode and both seem very good. The problem is with the IR Extender that plugs into the audio jack. The range is only about 5 - 8 feet. I have confirmed that I have the correct settings (not using the internal IrDA). I've tried controlling several different components and the range is unacceptable.

Before purchasing the package, I confirmed that the Toshiba e740 was one of the PDAs listed on Griffin's "Supported PDA list". A friend also purchased the same package to use with his e740 and he is experiencing the same poor range as well. We tried plugging headphones into the audio jack while running the software to confirm that the software is able to send to the audio jack (loud "clicking" sounds are heard). We are both running the latest version of the software from the Griffin website as well.

Griffin indicates that the range should be about 100ft so we're hoping that there is something we can do to improve the range. Are there any known problems with using the IR Extender with a Toshiba e740? Is there an easy way to verify that both IR extenders are defective? What are the odds that both would be defective?

Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Glen

Hosting Services by ipHouse