going with a Total Remote was for the dongle to
extend the capabilities of an IPAQ (etc) standard
IR port.

Each post in the thread seems to have missed pointing
this out.

Maybe I am missing something, like are there any
other remote control solutions that will work
on a PPC with the Griffin dongle?

You are missing something; critical information. The Total Remote transmitter module, while a marvel of engineering trickery, cannot POSSIBLY be compatible with all types of infrared signals. This is almost always due to the signal in question being "faster" than the audio hardware could ever possibly hope to reproduce. I have 7 pieces of AV gear I use with Total Remote, and ALL 7 of them work with the audio transmitter... so I am a lucky bastard. I would guess at the compatibility as being around 70-80% overall, which brings up a problem; ALL my gear works with it so you could say MY compatibility is 100%, but someone who has a component that falls into that 20-30% would fairly and accurately say it is 100% incompatible if they are unable to control a critical compnent such as the TV or stereo. Another classic case of YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Surely the implementation of a CCF is of little
consequence so long as it reflects the fuctionality
of that CCF. Therefore the native software that
provides that functionality becomes academic.

Were THAT true, sure. But I think it is VERY VERY fair to say that not one single PDA app with CCF support has managed 100% compatibility, for a variety of reasons ranging from hardware limitations on the PDA to just plain crappy programming. Bear in mind that ALL of us were forced to reverse-engineer our CCF engines, with absolutely no support from Philips, so it is not surprising that we would all be lacking in some fashion. :/

I love the TR solution. I wanted it to extend
the range, and it just does that.

Most of the time. For most people. Mostly. ;)

Sorry Don, this was in reply to you but turned
into a reply to everyone :)

Hey, everyone benefits! Thanks for the comments!

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse