Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Monday May 3, 2004 at 18:13
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
Hi guys,

Total Remote does not handle repeat codes correctly, in the classic sense. Here is an example.

Real support: When key is tapped the device transmits the data burst. When key is held down the only command sent is very very tiny "repeat previous command" sequence, which avoids having to send the data burst over and over again.

TR: When key is tapped the device transmits the data burst. When key is held down the ENTIRE data burst is sent for as long as the key is held down.

The reason is simple; we could not come up with a way to absolutely identify what is or is not a "repeat command" without knowing which of 12 possible IR formats the data is in, and even then we could be wrong. We could not expect the user to tell Total Remote when a IR protocol used a repeat bit, because the vast majority of users wouldn't know what that was! In a protocol that uses the repeat bit, our method works. In a protocol that DOESN'T use a repeat bit, our method works. The screw-up here is that only Total Remote's native mode does this; we have not implemented it on the CCF side. Clearly this is one of the next major tweaks.

I have been having an ongoing discussion with npaisnel about problems with transmission and sampling, especially as it relates to Yamaha and Scientific Atlanta gear. I have come to the conclusion that we may be mishandling certain IR data formats, both learning and transmission. Of the 30-40 devices our staff have tested Total Remote with, NO Yamaha remote-controlled device was used, so there is very little I can say about it with any real intelligence. SciAt cable boxes are used by our local Comcast cable TV provider, and this particular box (made by SciAt) works for us! This means nothing, since npaisnel has found that there are 3 (or more) "styles" of SciAt box; 1 works with TR and 2 do not. Really maddening.

As far as button assignment in CCF mode, this is new to us. npaisnel has mentioned some of this to me, but I sometimes think I am not clear on it. stricko, what is the D-pad supposed to do when used with a CCF? I think I can understand npaisnel's suggestion about implementing a way of flipping forward and back in a particular device's panels, but this uses the little green arrows already onscreen.

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse