Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 100 made on Wednesday May 19, 2004 at 16:56
blueness
Lurking Member
May 2004
Good point. After all, Total Remote didn't "take
off" until I caved in and added CCF support.
It would seem clear that users may not have any
interest in Total Remote's "native" mode.

I don't really have a problem with native mode, but I can see if people have already been tinkering with the .ccf format they would not enjoy duplicating their efforts.

For me it's all from the graphic/interface design point of view so I hope to simply create versatile "common denominators" that can be readily adapted to either native TR or .ccf.

Considering your native mode is likely to have less lag that the adaptive .ccf support, I'd prefer to start with native and well... "adapt" it to .ccf. The less translation (transilatory?) steps the better the response for the user. Convenience is good, but optimization is worth the effort, IMHO (ack! That's the first time I've used that convention (coming from someone who started chatting on Conference XYZ in 1978 on the Dartmouth College VAX system)).

My age-old arguement was that the Pronto CCF format
is the intellectual property of Philips, and I
hated the idea of tying my product's fate to another
company. That is somewhat moot, considering the
size of the user community.

As a 3D illustrator occaisionally burnt by clients, I support the age old arguement for appropriate respect of intellectual property, though, it might be in Philips' best interest to "let go" and allow adaptive (word of the day) cloning of their file format to help establish it as a standard similar to that of a .pdf or .swf.

There are typically two programmers, one graphic
artist, one copywriter, and myself in hardware.

Does the artist need a compadre? (so shameless ;-) )

Total Remote is very much "my baby" in that Paul
Griffin and I created the audio signaling technology,

and such a versatile, practical and cool technology it is...

We have yet to reach our sales
goal, but it has gotten better over the last 4-5
months as the software has improved, and especially
after adding CCF support.

I had to order my "Total Remote" online. Is there an effort to approach the Best Buys and Staples of the world and put it in the PocketPC isle or even the remote control isle? I imagine that's where you'll get the browsers who might mistakenly purchase a lacluster dedicated "clicker" that simply frustrates them (both functionally and aesthetically) as they do me.

O.K., blueness and nielsje, you seem enthusiastic
about the contest. Are you guys working in native
mode or with CCFs?

I'm starting in native because I'm new to this and haven't had a chance to tinker with the .ccf format. Heck, with spring kicking in up here in the "great white north," it's hard to set down to having some fun with TR, in general. I also just swapped my Sony for a Panasonic CT27HL14 (an excellent HD ready (480p/1080i) plain old CRT for only $100 more than the non-HD Sony 27FS100).

Now that the system is happy and settled, I can start customizing its usage.

As for my first "skin", I was hoping to take a cue from your Kubrick skin and create something slightly starker (but still cool) called "Odyssey". It's amazing how that aesthetic (the other word of the day) still holds its own... in fact much of today's graphic design vernacular seemed exemplified in that movie.

After "odyssey", I'd hope to put some subtle 3D skills to use on something more classic 80s videogame style. Have you seen the PS2 game "Rez"? That "Tron" aesthetic is also compelling, but might not be the most ergonomic in some lighting conditions.

Cheers!
Blueness (I have a blue Subaru WRX and the Blue Meanies were hilarious)

Hosting Services by ipHouse