The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 96 made on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 13:20
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
This is EXACTLY why I ask these things! This feedback is great!

On 05/13/04 19:24, dshmel said...
To be honest, I think most of the users purchasing
your program are crosovers from the Pronto community
who have already spent time (LOTS OF TIME) creating
.ccf's or .pcf's or whatever for their Prontos.

Good point. After all, Total Remote didn't "take off" until I caved in and added CCF support. It would seem clear that users may not have any interest in Total Remote's "native" mode.

I don't know why the developers for PDA remote
software even bother to come up with their own
"skins" and OS'.

My age-old arguement was that the Pronto CCF format is the intellectual property of Philips, and I hated the idea of tying my product's fate to another company. That is somewhat moot, considering the size of the user community. Philips could stop making and supporting Prontos tomorrow and it wouldn't affect virtually any existing users, or any users of third-party software like Total Remote.

Focus on supporting the pronto files and well established community
that already exists and "they will beat a path"
to your product. Trust me on this.

Could be. Makes a hell of an arguement to just eliminate "native" mode.

On 05/14/04 07:01, Wilhelm said...
Hi Don,

I see your didication to push and develop this
product. This is a good sign, but - and there
is allways a but - I really doubt this software
will ever evolve significantly , when you are
planning only a week for coding. As I see it,
there is much, much more to do than can be accomplished
in such a short time.

Wilhelm

Uh... I think you misunderstood. We do not intend to spend one week of coding and then never do anything ever again! I am saying that the next wave of bugfixes is budgeted to take about a week of programmer's time. Total Remote will continue to get updated, likely for the life of the product line. You can NEVER stop working on software.

On 05/14/04 07:35, Robert_F said...
Don did say "at LEAST a week" lets hope that he
can achieve something worthwhile in this time.
I guess it also depends on how many folks are
working on the project for this week. How many
people are in your development team Don or is
this your baby?

There are typically two programmers, one graphic artist, one copywriter, and myself in hardware. Everyone has several other projects to work on, so there is no "full-time" Total Remote employee. Total Remote is very much "my baby" in that Paul Griffin and I created the audio signaling technology, and I was the one who got us going down the path of a Pocket PC product (the original demo was on an MP3 player). No one else here really uses, understands or appreciates Pocket PCs in specific or PDAs in general so it always makes things tough. Also, I am the project engineer on the single most popular product we have ever had, and that takes a lot of my time. Total Remote is, sadly, a drop in Griffin's bucket. However, it is a niche product and we always understood that; we do not expect to sell hundreds of thousands of copies a year. We have yet to reach our sales goal, but it has gotten better over the last 4-5 months as the software has improved, and especially after adding CCF support.

On 05/14/04 16:49, blueness said...
Oops forgot to quote....

Reply: Heck yeah!

On 05/17/04 10:10, nielsje said...
hell yeah!!

O.K., blueness and nielsje, you seem enthusiastic about the contest. Are you guys working in native mode or with CCFs?

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse