Original thread:
Post 56 made on Friday April 9, 2004 at 16:58
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 04/08/04 05:01, stricko said...
Is there any way that Total Remote supports the
Laser / Electric Dog IR Extender.

Not at this time. We gave extremely serious consideration to making our own CF card, and decided that the time for CF is passing. We considered supporting other manufacturers of CF cards (all whopping two of them) but those devices are not at ALL what a hardware engineer or a software programmer would call a "real" CF card; instead of having a microcontroller that communicates over the CF bus they are using one of the digital data lines to "strobe" an infrared LED. The problem is the "strobing" trick is TOTALLY NON-STANDARD and absolutely not supported by all CF-capable devices. So, that basically limits us to iPaqs (couple others too, I think). Adding support for this kind of device may not be very difficult so it would be something we might consider, but we do not have any of these CF transmitters so until and unless we go buy one and reverse-engineer the communication hack that is used to flash the LED there won't be much we can do.

FYI, somewhat on topic, I have been working on a design for a infrared transceiver (yes, both directions) for quite some time. This would be a "true" port peripheral and not some cheap and incompatible hack. We have stagnated development due to the long-standing announcement by Novii to do a SD-transmitter; their design sucks overall but if it actually existed today it would solve a need for many Pocket PC user... and damn near ALL Palms (my next target). Anyone got any thoughts on this?

PS. Don. Thanks for the support! It's great to
see a vendor actively engaged on a forum like
this. the best example of this that I know of
is Sir Alan Sugar, the chairman of Amstrad (may
not mean much outside the UK) who contributes
to threads elsewhere about Amstrad products.

I am pleased that we have been able to work more closely with the user community to find bugs and add features. My participation here was originally "damage control" due to some user's bad experience with our tech support people, and that evolved to discussions of support, and that morphed into topics about bugs, which led to interactions with end-users and a public call for beta testers, to today's awfully good feedback and general support by the community (who were calling for blood one month prior!). I guess it just shows what can happen if you pay a little attention to people's concerns and make an obvious attempt at trying to work towards solutions. Unlike a particular competing PPC remote vendor. ;)

On 04/08/04 09:22, sandman69 said...
Has anybody tried this new version of total remote
using a ccf with a dell axim x3. I see from the
total remote website that is supports the internal
ir only, this is fine but will it give out a signal
stronger than pdawin gives out using the same
hardware?

In theory all PPC remotes that transmit via IrDA, transmitting to the exact same device from the same distance, should have identical performace _IF_ the signal timing is perfect. At one time Total Remote had a mis-timing issue that cut down our IrDA transmission range by 10-33%! We worked REALLY FRIGGIN HARD on timing for the v2.1.333 build (available TODAY!) and beyond, so that should NEVER be an issue. If anyone can show me a situation where Total Remote does not work just as well or better than, oh, say, TVRC, I certainly would want to know.

The Axim X3 has cunsumer ir built in but I find,
with pdawin, it is not as strong as the original
remotes that came with my equipment.

It does not. I worked with Dell on the X3 and Total Remote (which you may have noticed shipped with your Axim on the companion CD), and semantics aside the X3 does NOT have "CIR", but it does have the ability to DO "CIR" thanks to a really powerful IrDA port. Saying the X3 has "CIR" really upsets the Dell tech support guys, since it is flatly inaccurate. :)

Hosting Services by ipHouse