The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday December 15, 2007 at 11:39
stuartb
Lurking Member
August 2006
I just thought I would share my recent experiences so that others may benefit...

I have been using a Pronto RU950 for a while, but the screen was always a bit hard to see, so I hankered after a colour remote. As I have RF-controlled lights, I felt the only option was a RU990, so one day I bought one. However, the cost of it, and the fact that my wife is 100% guarranteed to sit/drop/spill drinks on it meant I could never bring myself to get it out of the box, so in the end I sold it on and got myself an Ipaq RX3715, with a view to using the NEVO software on it.

Unfortunately, the Nevo software is no way near as configurable as what I had been used to, and there did not seem to be nay way to enter hex codes, so searched about a bit and eventually stumbled upon RemoteControl II. Although it does not import ccf files, it does allow you to edit hex codes and you can import bitmaps and lay out your buttons exactly how you want, so after a bit of work the pcf file I had created for the RU990 has been ported to the Ipaq and is now working great.

The only thing missing was RF control for my lights. I have the hex codes in a spreadsheet, and they worked fine on my old pronto, so I bit the bullet and invested in a Powermid transmitter. This arrived yesterday, and with a little bit or work it is now successfully converting my IR signals to RF and controlling the lights like a dream ;)

Additionally, I have installed TV-Browser mini on my Ipaq which can be called from within the RemoteControl software, so now in addition to doing all the thing an RU990 can do, it also features an EPG! I hope to add media server control soon too ;) And all this cost me around 1/3 of what the RU990 cost, and less than what the RU950 cost too!

So the moral of the story is: An Ipaq plus RemoteControl II plus a Powermid transmitter is greater than a ProntoPro RU990. ;)

Hosting Services by ipHouse