The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday November 18, 2008 at 14:31
eagle63
Founding Member
April 2002
So I got all excited about the prospect of resurrecting my Axim x30h PDA and putting it into service as a universal remote using Novii deluxe. The software is nice and I got it installed and setup fairly quickly, but I quickly discovered a pretty major problem: You need to aim the PDA with near laser-precision at the IR receiver or it won't work. I'm finding that even if you point the PDA as little as a foot away from the target sensor, it doesn't "see" it.
Range is not the problem at all - I'm able to get it to work from 20 feet away, provided my aim is exact.

Is this a common problem to all PDA-based remotes? The Axim line seems to get good feedback for usage as a remote due to its consumer grade IR, but honestly I've never used a remote in my life (including cheap pieces of junk) that are this demanding for a precise aim. The fact that remote software is generally touch-screen based makes the problem that much worse since it means you tend to tilt the PDA towards yourself to make sure you're pressing the right "button."

Any ideas? I ran across some IR boosters on the 'net, but they are all for CF slots not SD. Maybe a piece of translucent table over the IR port would help disperse the light??

Thanks for any feedback!

Hosting Services by ipHouse