Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday July 5, 2000 at 12:07
Arjen
Historic Forum Post
Realized too late that by replying to DJs thread I messed up the intention of that thread being his adventure only...sorry DJ:)

Anyway, got my T2. No quality problems for me, knock on wood (I guess). Here's my take on the T2.

Summary
The T2 is an excellent remote for people that prefer the "eyes-closed" operation of hard-button remotes, but do not want to deal with funky labeled miscellaneous functions. You get hard buttons for all your common functions, for the rest you simply create buttons on the LCD. There is little this remote can not do.

Software
One word: Excellent. Very intuitive, flexible and stable.

Programmability
Again excellent. With the LCD you can do anything, buttons, macros, prompts, menus, whatever. The hard buttons can be programmed on click, double-click and hold. They can all contain different macros in each device mode, if you wish. A device mode is determined by seperate "pages" on the LCD (each with optionally multiple screens). An example of T2 power: in the DVD mode/page you use the arrow pad for transport control. If you press the DVD menu button, you simply set up the remote to jump to an identical mode/page in which the arrow pad functions as DVD navigation. On traditional remotes you would have to use the shift key to get the second function of the arrow pad within one device mode.

LCD
Good touch sensitivity, good contrast even in daylight. The backlight does whine a bit. The small size of the LCD is a blessing and a curse: it avoids making the remote too large to hold in one hand, but it also reduces the available screen real-estate per menu. I like the size of the LCD, but would have preferred a higher resolution.

Case
Very sturdy. Don't drop this baby on your toe, you will regret it (but the remote will be fine:). I do find this remote quite large. Tall, to be exact. It will be prominently present on your coffee table. But despite its size, you can quite comfortably hold it in one hand. I can use one hand to operate the arrow pad (transport), volume, channel, mute and power buttons, but prefer to use my other hand for the number pad and the LCD.

IR Learning
"If at first you don't succeed, try again. And again". This is one picky remote in the IR learning department. I eventually got all my commands learned, but it was tricky for some remotes. The T2 seems to prefer strong signals, and for some remotes there may only be one exact location of alignment that will work, don't you dare move it a millimeter. But nonetheless, it learned all my remotes.

Price
Ridiculous. I must be out of my mind. Quite seriously.

Overall
GREAT remote. Certainly the best I have tried. I flirted with the Pronto, but the hard buttons make all the difference to me. Will I keep it? Not sure....have a few more days to see if I can get past the size...and the price.

Arjen

Hosting Services by ipHouse