Original thread:
Post 2 made on Monday July 3, 2000 at 00:22
DJ Garcia
Historic Forum Post
-------------------------------------
Update 1 - Detailed impressions
-------------------------------------

A. WHY I LIKE THIS REMOTE SO MUCH

OK, I'm done with my full functional programming, and have tweaked and changed the layout to my liking. In two days I have a far more efficient and usable remote than my Pronto could ever be, with all the functions I had, plus. The reasons are several.

1. The hard buttons, which work very well, can be used with your eyes closed.

2. The programming allows you to create very flexible configurations with a little imagination. Example:

In my DSS devices (I have a Hughes HIRD-4532 Platinum and a Sony SAT-3) I have set up the Index button to work as follows:

- Normal click activates the Index
- Hold the button and the Info / Display function triggers - it comes up very quickly
- Double click and the Menu gets activated.

This macro works without a hitch - no glitches. I am quite amazed. This setup works great for dish surfing.

I've also set the keypad so that double-clicking on a number no matter where I am switches the remote to a particular device. This also works great in navigating.

Notice that both these processes can be executed in total darkness strictly by feel. And you could tape a cheat-sheet in the back to direct other family and friends :-).

3. The display is very bright legible even at sharp angles, and the touch action reliable (we'll have to see how it is after a few months).

4. I have been able to press the small button size with no problems. Granted I don't have large hands, but there doesn't seem to be much of a parallax issue.

5. The switching between frames or devices is instantaneous.

6. The size and shape lend themselves very well for one-handed use in the your lap or next to you, and lets you shift quickly between hard-button area to the display for one-handed use while holding.

7. The tilt switch works great - light just when you need it. I do wish the illumination switch toggled, so it would turn the light off if it's on.

8. Once you have a library built up (and with Remote Central that should be quick) laying out the remote is a relative snap. And making changes is very quick. You can copy or move buttons, pages, commands and macros around with impunity, singly or in groups. The drag-n-drop interface is a joy to use. In two days I have not a compromise, but sonething that works great for me.

9. The "hidden" unsupported hex editor let me copy Pronto hex codes easier than learning them. And with a little work it's usability can easily increase tenfold.

Geesh, I sound like danged salesman, but I am excited. The unfortunate thing is that I was offered a good deal on accessories for my good words and time spent, and I feel I should decline because I feel weird about it.

B. WHAT I DIDN"T LIKE ABOUT IT

1. For starters, it doesn't like the notorious Sony TA-E9000ES remote at all. I tried many position variations with no luck. I have a couple of more straws to grasp at but I'm not holding my breath. On the other hand, I now have a comprehensive 9000ES library thanks to my Pronto and the T2 hex editor, and any 9000ES owners will have it. So, in my case my Pronto saved my T2's butt :-).

RTI need to make a comprehensive library available. It would make a great advantage for marketing the product. The excellent library editor and architecture make this a no-brainer. In the meantime, they should offer a nice deal to pioneers who work at creating what they should have made available :-).

2. The remotes need to be carefully aligned for reliable learning of codes. And the codes may need or benefit from some tweaking of the minimum repetition factor. Thankfully they are very reliable and the library editor makes tweaking and testing codes in bulk quantities quick and easy.

3. The serial connector plug looks fragile and pins might get bent if care isn't taken.

4. Waiting for the batteries to charge initially was sheer torture, since there's no way to use it with an adapter! Once done though, the two batteries provide continuous use.

C. NEXT TIME ...

I'll give more details about my devices and configuration. OK, Daniel, start getting that File Area ready!

Have a great 4th,

DJ

Hosting Services by ipHouse