The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Friday June 23, 2000 at 13:20
Eric Johnson
Historic Forum Post
IMHO :-)

The Pronto/RC5000 is a dim, clumsy and hard to surf with remote. It often does not respond to taps on the touchscreen, prompting my wife to tap harder (making me very nervous!!!). It doesn't have any capability for automating stupid products without discrete on and off codes.

On the other hand, the screen resolution is 72dpi, it allows 4 tones/colors and bitmaps look great on the Pronto/RC5000. It has lots of COOL factor for that.
The new RC5000 software (coming this summer)enables some really exciting new programming to be done. I like that a lot - it adds tons more cool factor...

The RTI is extremely bright, very easy to read, but is lower resolution than the Pronto/RC5000. So, my icons are not going to look quite as cool.

However:
1) It looks to be a joy to surf with.
2) I am really familiar with the software from classes I have taught on the Lexicon 700T. This software is much faster and easier to catch on to. I can teach a dealer to use this software comfortably in a couple of hours, while prontoedit and RC5000Setup take 5 to 8 hours of training. It is far faster in actual use both learning IR codes and programming Macros.
3) The capability to do automate problem components (in my case a cable box) is a true plus.

I think this remote will succeed very well on the market because of its shape. Dealers will gravitate towards it because of the much easier PC editing program.

Hosting Services by ipHouse