The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Friday July 14, 2000 at 08:55
John Colombo
Historic Forum Post
Hmmm.

I don't think you can put any more hard buttons on this remote and make it smaller or even keep it as well-balanced as it is. So I can't agree with the hard transport controls, especially since a set of transport controls fits quite nicely on the touchscreen and works like a charm. And I don't find the size a problem given the almost perfect balance of this thing. Also, why a separate "Menu" button when you already have a "Guide" button? I use that button for the Guide for the 4DTV, but for menus for everything else. And if you need both a Guide and a Menu, use a macro to allow a different command with a "hold button" test.

I use the "*" button for the <10 button that appears on some components (like my Denon CD player, to select a track above 10; and my Mitsubishi DVD player, which also has a <10 button). Don't get rid of it.

I agree that some increased IR range would be nice, but remember that this thing has RF capability. I for one am going to get the RF receiver when it is available not just for the RF, but also for the RS232 interface. I know, I know - that brings the overall cost of this thing to close to $1000, but the alternative is a Crestron or Phast system at three times that amount. If you don't need this kind of sophistication, go buy a 1-for-All.

On the software, it is excellent as is, but several things bug me. Biggest issue: allow a jump to a specific panel in a page!

A few others, though. On the Macro Editor, how about leaving the "page jump" to the last set page, instead of having to use the list box each time. Or better yet, how about a way to copy macro commands? I wrote about 70 macros for my 4DTV to get individual channels, and had to re-enter the commands for each one. (OK, I realize that the other way to do this is to copy the button, then edit the macro. But when you copy the button, then you have to change the text on the button, then edit the macro. I think being able to copy the macro would be easier).

I don't like having to right click, then select from a menu in order to clear a selected button. Just let me click anywhere outside the touchscreen area to clear a selection, OK, like any other Windows software. Also, when in text mode, how about having a feature that you could turn off that automatically opens a text entry window for the next button down (or over, or some pattern). Often you want to lay out a bunch of buttons, then add text to them all in order. Right now that requires clicking on button 1, entering text, clicking on OK, then clicking on the next button, etc. A feature that automatically opened a text entry screen for the next "empty" button would speed things up - most e-mail programs work this way. You read message 1, then there is an up or down arrow that allows you to go directly to message 2 without clicking to close 1 and then clicking to open 2.

Hmmm - that's about it for now. Great remote, great software. Might be improved a little, but heed the MD's motto of "First, do no harm."

John Colombo

Hosting Services by ipHouse