The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday August 27, 2000 at 14:53
Will Cunningham
Historic Forum Post
Howdy Guys,

I have been thinking of picking up a T2 for a while now but there are a few things that have been holding me back. I hate buying a remote without holding it in my hands first, but I figure I can return it right away if I hate it so that is no big deal. The major thing that has been holding me up was my love for the Pronto.

I still love the Pronto, but I dropped mine recently and broke the backlight. I have dropped this many many times in the past and have always been very happy with the durability of the Pronto. Having no backlight has really opened my eyes as to how often I need to look at the screen in everyday use. I want more hardbuttons to minimize this issue.

The RTI T2 looks like the best replacement, though to be honest I am a little put off by the small size of the touch screen. I felt cramped with the Pronto, but I figure the hard buttons will probably ease this issue some.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the build quality and the durability of the unit? I *know* I am going to drop this a number of times and I want to make sure it can withstand that kind of abuse. I was also wondering if anyone could comment on repair policies? I know it is a huge hassle to get a Pronto's screen replaced and that it costs 150 bucks. Does anyone know how this kind of thing would be handled by RTI?

Hehe, basically I am now a little paranoid that I may break it and want to know how likely that is and how big a pain it would be to get things fixed?

Oh yeah, I was wondering about one other thing too. To take the pronto apart so I can take a quick look and see if I can fix it requires a Torx #6 screwdriver, which is a huge hassle to find in my area. Does the T2 use any funky screws or will a standard screwdriver open it up? I hope to never need to find out, but I am curious. :)

Hosting Services by ipHouse