Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Wednesday September 13, 2000 at 19:35
Philip Brandes
Historic Forum Post
For what it's worth, I took a different approach to dealing with the DVD menu/transport conundrum.

Instead of trying to make the T2 menu nav buttons do double-duty here, I found another option: namely, using the numeric keypad for transport controls.

My reasoning was that I use the number functions much less frequently than either transport or menu functions, so if I was going to compromise functionality this was the place to do it.

My approach was to implement transport functions on the main DVD page, then create a clone "DVD #" page with the number keys changed to do their number thing. I access these numerical input functions via a jump on the * key. Granted it's an extra step to do numerical entries, but as I said I find this is my least frequent operation so it's least intrusive.

The nice thing about this approach is that I need to end a numerical entry with an "ENTER" operation anyway (on my Sony DVP7000 at least), so I simply added an automatic jump to the Enter key to return to the main DVD page with its transport controls on the number buttons. This eliminates the problem of the T2 being inadvertently left on the wrong page that Arjen reported.

With this implementation, I also find it is very easy to operate the transport controls by touch alone, and I get instant response from both menu and transport buttons. I have "Play" assigned to 3, since it's the easiest access as I'm right handed. Pause is 2, and Stop is 1.

I then use 4 and 6 for chapter skips, and 7 and 9 for REV and FF,

This does seem to work quite well for me. Just thought it might be useful to others.

Cheers,
Philip Brandes

Hosting Services by ipHouse