The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Saturday August 4, 2007 at 17:35
tgrugett
Select Member
August 2004
I imagine that the remote and processor would have different parameters for things like flag duration and command processing.

I think the questions should probably be...

Does setting, clearing or testing a flag have a duration(s)?

Does calling a system macro have a specific duration unrelated to the contents of the macro? What I mean is this... thinking of the system macro as a shell to hold the contents of an action, does this "shell" have a specific duration? Does a system macro containing a particular command have a longer duration than the command by itself?

Can RTI employ a feature by which we can see the duration of a particular action or macro and even possibly run a macro diagnostic to detect any processing issues? That would be cool!

Do IR and RS232 commands have a general duration profile? I realize that each command is likely unique but does the system have some sort of inherent signature when dealing with these commands?

Should system macros have a default delay after the action feature that exists with IR commands? What about 232?

Can system macros eventually be made "thread safe" like vbcodep mentioned? Should they?

I see this as critical information especially as it applies to my programming. I will often use one or more T3 controllers to operate a whole house distributed system and I find it becomes more efficient to establish centralized flag placement. For example I will create system macros for zone on/off and zone source selection that will issue one command and set various flags (zone on flag, system on flag, source flag). Then I will create activity macros in which I will nest these macros. This way I only have to set or clear flags in one location and I can create my activity macros without having to worry about inserting flags in the sequence. I do, however, have to plan for my delays but I find this less tedious. A great example of the benefit of this method came on a job I finished recently. My client was very involved in the GUI and operation of the control system and he had me change the specific operation of the remote numerous times after he boiled down the various options. I had to come up with quite a few flag logic control variables to get the specific behavior he wanted. It would have been a nightmare had I placed flags in each sequenced macro and not the single command macros that I call because I would have had to scan through much more of system architecture.

Hosting Services by ipHouse