The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday February 29, 2008 at 11:43
tgrugett
Select Member
August 2004
This is why I try to clean up anything I see, make sure that most if not all of my submissions are clean and tested and provide FULL code sets. For example, the next mega list will have much of the Sharp display files edited and cleaned up.

If we contribute to the list, we should also take the responsibility to contribute worthwhile stuff. The problem with relying on the manufacturer is that (as we have all seen), most of the info is right off the native remote (because documentation for IR is ridiculous) and many discretes are not available outside of Power. We in the field tend to have or find info that the manufacturers gloss over.

The other issue I have is with learned codes. Many people in the field do not know how to learn codes properly, how to tell if they have a bad learn or how to document a model number. I am a bit finicky about mine. I have a separate library of my learned codes that sit and wait until I have generated clean versions. You do not have to take this approach but hell, at least test the codes that are learned and relearn or eliminate the bad ones.

Yet another issue... there are MANY people out there that make their living from being an "expert" in this stuff, yet they know little or nothing about the nature of IR (the beast that it is). They come here or to other places to get "free" information from people so that they do not have to think about it themselves... great idea in theory... but those people can often be the loudest complainers (not in direct reference to this thread). I give out reams of "free" information all of the time but I have to say that I am more likely to give it to those that seem like they are genuinely interested in learning about this stuff for their long term development and education. I have started to care less about those who bought their first universal and open their first few posts with... "why isn't this easier..... blah blah" or worse yet, the members who have been on REMOTE CENTRAL (where IR and control is the primary topic of discussion) for some time and are still here only to soak up resources from others and not take any constructive action themselves to figure out anything.

I am not bitter... no intent to rant... just that, if you find it a mess then my first question would be, what have you done about it lately?

Hosting Services by ipHouse