The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Saturday April 12, 2008 at 15:15
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On April 11, 2008 at 11:06, gwilly said...
Totally unrelated, I hate the word "prolly", is it really
that hard to spell probably?

For him, prolly.
Lastly, because I don't want to start a new thread, but
why couldn't RTI use solid black rubber material for their
buttons on the M2 or even all their remotes?

I think this costs a few pennies more, or maybe even more than that. A color layer on top is usually chosen as it is cheaper than a solid-colored material.

On April 11, 2008 at 20:50, roddymcg said...
Please fix this sometime RTI, is it really necessary to
disable the processor while the cable is attached??

On April 12, 2008 at 15:05, SAAudio said...
I think it probably is. With it still attached, it is
still communicating with the computer and probably can't
do this and process commands at the same time.

Well, yeah, it's necessary, but only because they didn't design it to be unnecessary. This was one of two dumb things on their part that they have done.

The first RTI system I did had a T2+, along with an RP6 about eight feet up on a wall and no place nearby to sit. What a pain that was! I realized when I was doing that system that I had to go through about fifty iterations of programming, meaning my laptop's USB connector got a year's worth of use in one day. Now, when my laptop's one USB connector is broken, my laptop must be replaced, so this is a BAD IDEA on RTI's part.

And even if I didn't have to disconnect from the computer, here's the second dumb thing: they weren't thinking of the programmer's computer at all; the T2+ and the RP-6 use different size USB connectors, so I HAD to change cables every time I changed from T2+ to RP6.

They (yes, I called RTI) suggested I get a little hub. That rubbed me the wrong way, as now I have to spin a web of cables on the coffee table at the client's house, and it looks messy, especially since I am continually plugging and unplugging from the hub.

But I do it. I just tell the customer that RTI makes great remotes but they didn't think through what kind of mess it would take to program them.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse