Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Thursday August 31, 2000 at 15:18
Randy
Historic Forum Post
Oliver - I'm not wrong about anything. I've used $129 DVD players and can't tell the difference from my $699 'reference' model. I'd bet that most people couldn't in a truly blind test.

That point aside, i wish I could find the reviews of the Compaq Home Theatre PC's, which were intended to be used for DVD playing. It was a horrible review. That said, I have tested my theories out on my 3-month old 650 MHz Athlon. I closed all software except the DVD Player. The sound was less than acceptable, and every now and then there was a 'blurp' when the computer paused for a second.

Does it work? Aboslutely. Is it cheap? Sure. Would I ever use it for my home theatre? Never. Not when there are $129 DVD players that I can dedicate to the cause that work as good/better and don't rely on computer memory nonsense to run smoothly.

We all have our opinions. I'm just saying to Michael - instead of all the shenanigans with making your PC's DVD player run your home theatre, buy a used DVD player dedicated to the task. You'll be happier in the long run.

No offense meant, Oliver, and none taken. We're both here to help this gentleman out :)

Hosting Services by ipHouse