The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Monday August 28, 2000 at 13:24
oliver gomez
Historic Forum Post
Randy,
First, I challenge you to show a "REAL" DVD player for $129. That is, one with component progressive output, that passes AC3 and DTS.

Second, the fact that computers come with a DVD drive does dispute your claim. They are not included to use DVD software (although they certainly can) they are there to watch movies.

Third, your contention that there was a failed breed of PCs to specifically run your HT is very relevant. According to you, they have come and gone, and I presume, not over night. There is no way then that these special purpose computers had the processors, MBs, video cards, sound cards, and DVD drives that I am talking about. Who would buy one of those anyway?

Anyway, I'm not really interested in anecdotes about the demise of some ill-conceived piece of computer hardware. The point of my post was to inform Micheal that the X10 product works fine, and that your statements about the quality of PC DVD playback were dead wrong.

What you don't seem to grasp is that the output is progressive, and component. This puts your stand alone player in the $1000 dollar range.

Should someone use a computer to get the quality of a $129 DVD player? Maybe, if they happen to have the computer already. Should someone go with a stand alone progressive player when a decent computer will do more for the same price? I'll leave that one up to you.

-oliver (the dope)

Hosting Services by ipHouse