Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Friday September 8, 2000 at 00:39
Daniel Tonks
Historic Forum Post
Rob: My goodness. You claim "It is the total number of pixels that limit how much can be displayed." However, that is not completely accurate, since a single letter could be 20 pixels wide or only 5. Having "more" pixels provides the benefit of allowing you to create smaller letters that are still legible, but additional pixels are also now required to maintain the same physical size of a character. Since we're dealing with a physically defined object -- your finger -- after a certain point the additional resolution can only be used to create "smoother" characters (which may or may not be easier to read).

For reference, the MX-1000 has a screen DPI of 80 x 111, while the Pronto has 104 x 103. So, if a letter is 15 pixels wide on the MX-1000, it must be 19 pixels wide on the Pronto to maintain the same physical size.

Since the resolution of both units is more than high enough for the size of the screens, all that really matters is physical size and how many usable buttons you could fit into that physical space, not how many pixels is required to display each button.

Other similar remotes also have problems keeping all four colors distinctive, so it seems to be a problem with these LCDs in general. As for contrast, I'm sure you noticed that I complained about the limited adjustment range in my review. But as I discovered and have already reported to this forum, the unit is able hardware-wise to provide a full rage of control. The limitation seems to be software imposed, which means it could be corrected. If? When? I have no idea. Finally, since all colors are affected by the contrast control, adding the "lost" range would have the benefit of lightening dark gray into a more visible state.

Hosting Services by ipHouse