Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Sunday September 17, 2000 at 10:57
Dave
Historic Forum Post
I presently have an accidentally broken Sony 2100 remote control which I only owned for abut 2-3 months. I again have the somewhat frustrating task of picking a new remote control.

The 2100 was OK, but I wouldn't buy another. I will never make the mistake again of buying a remote that I cannot back up to a PC. Even though the 2100 isn't fully programmable, it still took a while to teach it all my required functions.

So on to the dilemma. My immediate reaction is to purchase the 2MB Pronto. The MX-1000 sounds like it has a lot of potential, but I'm very uncertain about its software.

If the PC software is supposed to be available by the end of September, then Universal Remote should be able to provide at least a marketing slick on its features. If not, that likely means the features and functions are not solidified. I'm also nervous about any company's version 1.0 software. It's always buggy and lacks full functionality. It's usually rushed to the market to meet competition. I would think Universal Remote is no exception. Also, with Universal Remote's poor track record for delivering the MX-1000, I would think major software upgrades will not come too quickly.

The Pronto's been around for awhile and its software is well cooked. If I make a purchase decision to buy a replacement remote in the next 30 days, my money's on the 2MB Pronto (if I can find it).

Hosting Services by ipHouse