Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Saturday November 4, 2000 at 12:39
Jason S
Historic Forum Post
I don't think you'll be able to add more screens to a particular device. The MDL files are setup for only four pages on each device, maybe because the hardware can only address 4 pages?

I also don't see any easy way of deleting a whole menu screen using the design tool, however, you can do whatever you want within the MDL files.... :)

Through a little "research" last night, I was able to open and modify the MDL and MDS files. I was able to remove devices from the MAIN page (something I can't do on Win2k, but reportedly can be done on Win9x), quickly reorder pages, move icons, change just about any text item on the screen, alter the fonts, etc.

However, I don't have my remote yet, so I'm not sure what negative effect, if any, my mods would make. The program certainly accepts the changes I've made, but I'm not sure if the remote itself would. I would certainly hate to modify some of this stuff and see it render my remote useless. The MDS files I'm more concerned about because they seem to be more of the "core" config than the individual MDL files. It's possible (not sure how probable though) that someone messing with those files could add too much data and overwrite portions of the system firmware, and in worst case, the portion that handles the upload/download.

Because of this, and because I don't want to get into a sling with Universal Remote, I'm hesitant to post instructions on how to open these files. I'm sure some of our more resourceful engineers will be able to figure it out, it's not hard at all.

I'm sure Universal Remote will eventually find out about the ability to make the mods and either make it harder to modify the MDL files directly, or better yet, provide us with the specs so we can develop our own MDL files, editors, etc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse