The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 152 made on Saturday January 27, 2001 at 13:06
GregoriusM
Historic Forum Post
Just my 2-bits...

1) As far as naming the buttons, we have to think of the average Joe too. Power on and Power off may be very confusing for someone who does not have discrete codes for their device and doesn't even give two hoots what a discrete code is. So, for their device, they might be pushing the Power Off all day wondering why the power does nothing. However, us remote junkies WILL know what that button is for, no matter how it is labelled. Just my thoughts......

2) About the NO SEPARATE MENU & GUIDE buttons, etc. Yes, I agree, that would have been great. But, this remote will most likely be compared with the Marantz RC200MKII, and correct me if I'm wrong, but from any photographs I have seen of it, it doesn't have ANY of those buttons. I assume they must be on the LCD screen. Plus the RC2000 is higher priced. And the IR on the MX-500 will be the same "killer" strength as on the SL-9000 and the MX-1000. I've seen that the RC2000 doesn't have as much strength and is fairly directional.

3) Again, I submit to you that any of the most used functions that are not directly named on the remote, should be put on the bottom two buttons of the LCD screen, within reach.

4) And, don't forget, many of the pre-programmed remotes (learning or otherwise), use the CH UP/DOWN button to change tracks for CD and titles/chapters for DVD. Easy to program on the MX-500.

5) And, that wonderful thing we call a "joystick", programmable!

A perfect remote? No? The best button remote in its price range... dare I say in any price range? I'd say yes!

... Greg :-)

Hosting Services by ipHouse