Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Wednesday February 16, 2000 at 19:13
jar
Historic Forum Post
For that guy....DVD to coaxial to run DVD = video converter available at radio shack, best buy, or even walmart - around $30.

How Macrovision Works:
Macrovision (my knowledge from other forums and the macrovision company data) is encoded on the DVD disc and the DVD player just sends it out. It sends a up and down color signal (gain) through the line. Your TV has what is called an 'Automatic Gain Control' circuit. This makes the picture stable and viewable.

On the other hand, your "normal" VCR does not have AGC. So the picture gets copied weird because the DVD is sending this weird signal and the VCR cannot compensate for it. The VCR copies the images with the up and down color/gain switching.
When you play the VCR, the recorded up and down color/gain is preceived by the TV as a NORMAL signal with correct color/gain and is displayed "AS-IS" (all messed up!).

I say "normal" because if you have an older VCR, some of them have AGC and will record correctly! Almost all new VCR's since 1990 or so, do not.

DVD chips and mods (modifications) remove or block this gain signal from going out. They require voiding your warranty and soldering and are really technical in the instructions about IC's, etc...

From my experience, most "Video Stabilizers" do not work.

I have yet to find -one- single product that works for all DVD/VCR/Disc combos.

Sima Corp (simcorp.com) SCC Pro-Series ColorCorrector is probably the best.

The 'wireless' trasmitter (in a previous post) probably does not work since it does not AGC either. Remember, your're transmitting to a device (TV) that *does* have AGC. Try hooking up a non-AGC device (VCR) and copying the signal. Bet it won't work.

-jar

Hosting Services by ipHouse