The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 59 made on Thursday April 6, 2006 at 01:22
flash214
Long Time Member
March 2006
As an Engineer I can appreciate the design and engineering that went into the making of the Universal MX-900. It looks like a nice and capable remote control. However, as a consumer I can see that Universal's marketing department has missed the boat with this remote.

Your average consumer who is looking for both a powerful and stylish remote control will probably pass on purchasing the MX-900 with only a six button display and a MSRP of $449.99 when compared to something like their own MX-850 with a ten button display and a lower MSRP. Although it is probably not entirely true, the MX-900 will be perceived as having fewer features and less power than other brands of remote controls as well as Universal's other remotes and therefore should have a lower price.

I think Universal should have offered little more on the MX-900 such as a color screen, a sensor to activate the back light (as on the MX-950) or maybe the inclusion of icons for favorite channels.

Maybe Universal is getting a little greedy in their pricing. As a rule, electronic devices usually get more powerful and less expensive every year until something radically different comes to the market. My prediction is that the MX-900 will do well at first because of the newness factor but not do too well in sales in the near future unless Universal reduces their MSRP to a more reasonable level.

Hosting Services by ipHouse