Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Wednesday May 17, 2006 at 00:27
SliderJeff
Long Time Member
March 2003
8ate8,

LOL! That Surround Sound comment was just an illustration, not an actual need. Sorry to come across as a total newbie.

Honestly, no... it's not THAT big of a deal. But since forum member Chad T described the scenario that I have been trying to get to work in the "MAIN page layout preferences on MX-850" thread... I thought it sounded like a very cool idea. Clearly I am missing something though, since it doesn't appear to be possible to do what I THOUGHT he was implying.

Here's what he wrote. Can you decipher something different from what he is saying than what I interpreted?

I'm constantly tweaking my 850. Here is my current layout:

Main Page 1:

(down arrow)HEAR VIEW(down arrow)
CD CABLE
HIREZ DVD
MUSIC VCR
RADIO

I use the words "HEAR" and "VIEW" because these allow an extra character for a downward arrow, which points down to the available activties.....just trying to dumb it down as much as possible. I like method #2 and used it for awhile, but #2 only allows 5 activities on Main Page 1 and this current method has room for 8.

The button that has the activity macro also has the device on the same button, so pushing "MAIN" and the activity button at the same time bypasses the macro and goes straight to the device. The first page(s) of the device have the absolute necessity commands. Then I put the other remaining commands on hidden pages within that device. To access those hidden pages (for when I want access to commands that allow me to tweak my system) I use a blanked out, key (usually the lower, right one if available) with a push and hold 1.5 second macro that takes me to the next hidden page of the device. For example when pushing the DVD activity button, this executes all necessary macros to make that happen, then it goes to the DVD device. Pages 1 and 2 contain the commands I want the average user to see. Then in the bottom, right corner of page two I have a blank button that takes me to hidden page 3. And in the bottom, right corner of page 3, I have a button that takes me to hidden page 4.

On main page two I have:

WRONG PAGE!

RECVR
TV X-10

The "WRONG" and "PAGE!" buttons have page 1 hidden, so pushing them actually does nothing.....but hopefully give the user the idea to go back to Main page 1.

When pushing the hard off button this executes a go-to macro that goes to a hidden device on page 2 that says:

TURN WHOLE
SYSTM OFF?
ARE YOU
SURE?
NO YES

"YES", executes a system shutdown macro. "NO" goes back to main page 1. I did this for the same reason others mentioned in this thread.

I wanted to create a remote that is fairly simple for the average user, yet still gives me access to every available remote command for all devices so *I* can tweak the system when desired. Critique?

Re-reading that... I think I understand where I went wrong. Geez, so much for asking dumb questions you can practically answer yourself, right? :)

Thanks again, and thanks to all for their patience in putting up with my thick-headedness.

Regs,
Jeff

Hosting Services by ipHouse