The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Thursday July 20, 2006 at 09:27
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
On July 19, 2006 at 19:19, PChek said...
So would I use the nec1.irp or the NECx1.irp?

nec1.irp

NECx1 is another protocol that is very similar to nec1, but not quite the same. Samsung usually uses NECx1.

On July 19, 2006 at 21:27, PChek said...
I don't have a Pronto, but I'm guessing that 64
would be the device number in the Pronto database,

No. 64 is the device number encoded into the actual IR signal. It is not the database number of the code set.

since that would be what MakeHex would want?

MakeHex knows nothing about anyone's database of code sets. MakeHex needs the actual number that is encoded in the signal.

But the same device would have a different number
in the database of each different remote's manufacturer,
yes?

Correct, though several universal remote brands, including Pronto, license their database from the company behind the OneForAll brand. In those cases there is a simple relationship between the OneForAll setup code number and the other brand's database number. But neither has any systematic relationship to the device number encoded in the signal.

So for example hifi-remote.com, which deals with
OFA/RS remotes, lists Toshiba TVs as devices 0156,
0060, and 0154.

OneForAll has at least 28 different setup codes for NEC1:64, because a setup code carries the whole list of associations of function numbers to buttons, in addition to the protocol and device number. TV/0156 is the most connonly used of those. 0060 and 0154 are not NEC1:64. I didn't double check that page at hifi-remote, but I think 0060 and 0154 are other brands. Maybe Toshiba rebranded a few TV's of other brands so OneForAll listed those brands' code sets under Toshiba.

I'm wondering in general how one can
tell which device number in one database corresponds
to a given number in a different database?

Usually you can't. But if a CCF file uses a database code from that licensed database and you decode it with DecodeCCF, DecodeCCF will display the OneForAll setup code number. DecodeCCF does not contain the actual database and the CCF doesn't contain the actual IR signal for database signals, so you get that setup code number instead of (not in addition to) a normal decode.

Hosting Services by ipHouse