Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Monday December 18, 2006 at 11:26
Mark Booth
Founding Member
November 2001
BBranch,

Unfortunately, some MX-500s have some problems learning commands from certain other remotes. As I recall, the IR codes in some of the newer factory remotes are "advanced" codes and the MX-500 "times out" (or something like that) before the full IR string can be learned. I ran into the same problem when trying to teach my MX-500 some of the commands from my new Pioneer receiver factory remote. VERY annoying.

The solution is to use a third remote as an intermediate remote. I taught my Pionneer receiver's advanced commands to the intermediate remote, and then use the intermediate remote to teach the commands to the MX-500. The intermediate remote "shortens" the longer IR string and that solves the problem for the MX-500.

I experimented with about a half dozen-models to use as the intermediate remote but found that the only one that worked reliably was the One4All model #8811. I found it at Fry's.

One downside... I also found that the 8811 couldn't handle more than a few commands at a time. It's memory is too small. So, first I taught as many commands as I could directly from the Pioneer remote to the MX-500 (not all of the Pioneer commands were "advanced" commands) and then I used the 8811 in between, doing 3 or 4 commands at a time. I would then reset the 8811 (clearing all learned codes) and do 3 or 4 more commands.

There's a thread about this problem right here:

[Link: remotecentral.com]

Mark

Hosting Services by ipHouse