The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Sunday September 24, 2006 at 12:01
Rich_Guy
Advanced Member
May 2006
It's pretty silly to have to pay for a new remote for what amounts to probably pushing one button once and only one time.

I had a similar experience a couple months ago while visiting my mother. I was rewiring my mothers system after a cable installer had installed a new cable box. My 80 year old technically challenged mother needed things a little more simplified for her to work the system.

Anyway after I rewired her system I realized that at some time some how the PIP had turned on. Well my mother no longer has her original remote for her TV and had been using only her cable remote to turn on and off the TV. Since there are no menu controls on her Sony TV beyond the basic there was nothing to control PIP. She had several remotes, cable box, VCR, DVD, an old universal remote that was programmed for an old Mitsubishi TV but not her Sony and no longer any programming codes around for it. So after about an hour of trying every button on every remote she had I realized nothing she had was going to turn off the PIP. I probably had about half a dozen or more remotes that would have worked for this at my home (a 5 hours drive away).

So I ended up going to the closest store to her for a remote a Circuit City and paying $35+ just to turn off her PIP which she would never ever use for any reason herself. It was not until I returned home that I thought I should had returned the remote and gotten my $35+ back. I am sure that remote will probably just sit in her drawer and that the remote codes will be lost before there is ever any need for it again.

Hosting Services by ipHouse