The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Saturday March 16, 2002 at 03:53
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Echoslob is right. You can use a diplexer to combine, then separate, DSS and Cable (or antenna) signals, because the two services use different frequencies. [A diplexer is literally just a crossover, like you find in a speaker. Consider Cable to be the woofer and DSS to be the tweeter (ignoring the DC part of the DSS signal).]
Cable and Antenna use the same frequency ranges, so you need separate cables for them.
If you decide to modulate a signal, say a DSS audio/video output, to a channel, then you will need another cable for that (presuming the modulator is at the DSS and not at the head end).
If I don't have a decorator problem, I usually use a piece of plywood to hold the antenna/cable distribution system, and put it in the attic, or in the garage, or at least as high in the closet as possible. I have avoided the distribution panel because today's perfect panel will probably be too small tomorrow. I learned that in retail, where change is inevitable and you have to imagine how much more space you might need in five years without knowing what will go there.

All in all, you will have to double your cabling to do antenna and cable. It makes sense these days to wire with double cable, though, because we can get cable but we can get DTV over the air in many locations.

Please let me now take a moment and be a left-brained curmudgeon: please call RF RF, and call Video Video. You are asking about RF. Pummel manufacturers who offer video switchers that only have F-connectins, because these are not meant for video, but for RF. And Video needs to be called composite, S (AKA Y/C), Component, and VGA.

This message was edited by Ernie Bornn-Gilman on 03/16/02 03:56.58.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse