The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday March 19, 2002 at 10:44
jfetter
Founding Member
December 2001
On 03/19/02 10:21.55, Larry Fine said...

That's because each receiver sends the DV to the
LNB. Remember, unlike cable TV, DSS cabling carries
signals in both directions. Trying to split a
dish feed would have two receivers feeding DC
to the same LNB, which would probably lead to
equipment failure.

Got it (I think). So it appears you can't split a single LNB to feed more than one receiver as I originally assumed, correct?

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by a 'gateway
hub', unless you're referring to a cable modem
and ethernet hub. Perhaps you mean a distribution
panel?

Sorry, Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) calls the distribution panel they use in their pre-wired homes a "residential gateway hub". I of course mean the distribution panel.

Again, you can't split a cable between a receiver
and dish. The output of a receiver can
be split, however, but you will only be able to
watch the same channel on both TVs, just as if
you split the output of a cable tuner.

Yea, got that, that's how I feed the modulated DSS and DVD signals back into the cable, by taking the second output of both devices and feeding them into a 2-channel modulator.

If you mean trying to feed the same piece of wire
from both ends, using a diplexer at each end,
I've never heard of it, but it might work.
interesting idea. Anybody???

That's exactly what I mean. The Terk multiswitch has an input for off-air/CATV that it combines with the satellite signal at the 4 outputs. Having a diplexer at the other end would allow me to extract that off-air/CATV signal. INSTEAD of connecting an off-air/CATV input to the multiswitch, I would like to feed the modulated CATV signal INTO the diplexer (in the theater) back up to the Terk multiswitch (to the off-air/CATV input, though I would be using it as the output) and then feed this signal back into my distibution panel to feed the TV in question.

Make sense? damn I hope so as I am getting a little dizzy reading it over again. Bottom line, does the off-air/CATV input on a multiswitch act only as an input or would it work as an output if a signal was fed into a downstream diplexer?

Thanks again Larry...

Jack Fetter

Hosting Services by ipHouse