The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday March 18, 2002 at 11:34
jfetter
Founding Member
December 2001
OK, I know what a multi-switch is, I know what a diplexer is, I am very familiar with the method for splitting a dual LNB into 4, 6, 8, etc feeds. My problem;

I currently have a house pre-wired with 2 RG-6 and 2 CAT5 feeds to each Multimedia outlet. My Theater uses one RG-6 feed for Satellite and the other to broadcast the Satellite and DVD signals (via a 2 channel modulator) throughout the rest of the house. I do have other satellite receivers in some rooms but this offers a nice way to get Satellite TV and DVD to all TV's. Since I looped CAT5 throughout the house and put an IR receiver in the ceiling (centered between the whole house audio speakers in each room), I use it to route IR commands to the Theater where 12 emitters output the IR commands to all the Theater components making controlling everything possible.

I just purchased an UltimateTV unit (Sony SAT-W60) and definitely want to place it in the Theater. My problem is, with only 2 RG-6 feeds, I am one short if I want to use both internal UltimateTV tuners AND continue to broadcast the 2 modulated channels throughout the house. I have looked into Audio/Video over CAT5 and other solutions and here is my question. Can I SPLIT the "A" feed from the Satellite already coming in on one RG-6 and feed it into both UltimateTV inputs?

I am thinking the "A" and "B" signals are somehow combined and re-split in a normal multi-switch and this works because both are recombined or some other signal modification is made before being split into more feeds. I would love to just split the signal (using a regular 2GHz signal splitter) now but I am afraid of harming the UltimateTV. Does anyone know exactly how a dual LNB is split into 4 and if both "A" and "B" inputs MUST be used? What if I put another Terk 3 into 4 multiswitch in my theater and just fed in the one SAT "A" and then took 2 outputs from the back? Should 2 of the 4 outs works???

You see my dilema. If I don't come up with a way to split the signal in the Theater, I am left with the job of running a new RG-6 through the wall up to a Terk 3 into 4 splitter at the Dish (not far or hard since my Theater is on an outside wall at ground level, just not my ideal solution)...

Thank you in advance for your help...

Jfetter

Hosting Services by ipHouse