The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Tuesday March 5, 2002 at 13:47
MattyA3
Founding Member
March 2002
Okay, so I'm weighing in a little late, but there is something that I didn't see mentioned in this thread:
I was using COX digital cable in Manchester CT with a box that said "Dolby Digital" on the front. There was an S/PDIF output in the back that I hooked up to my receiver. However, since only a handful of the channels were "real digital" (I knew it because the damn things pixelated all the time...) the audio from the coax digital jack was only active for all of those channels. Of course, as mentioned in this post, those channels were the ones that no one watches. MOREOVER, since the digital signal came out of the S/PDIF jack on ALL channels (with "no sound" being the signal on the "non-digital" channels), my receiver always prioritized the digital signal and gave me no sound on the non-digitals. I ended up hooking up the digital feed to another source input on the receiver and setting the RAV-2000 to go to that audio source if the channel selected was a digital one (using direct channel access buttone). HOWEVER, this was still a problem since the volume on the digital output was markedly louder then the analog and I couldn't figure out (or rather didn't he the patience to figure out...) how to do a volume adjustment macro in the RAV when the audio sources changed.

Oh, then I moved across town (10 miles but into AT&T territory) and got a box with no digital audio out at all...the space for the S/PDIF jack is there, but the jack does not exist! Plus I get massive "hum-bars" on ABC and NBC and the AT&T tech took one look at my system and (a) refused to touch it and (b) said he was going to "document" the modifications I made to the wiring of the coax.

I would go to DSS but my wife doesn't want the dish on the house.

I would go to DSS but you can't get locals in Hartford CT.

I would go back to "regular cable" but my wife likes the interactive guide (OK, so I like it too...).

YOU JUST CAN'T WIN AT THIS GAME IF YOU'RE A HIGH-END CONSUMER!!

CIAO
Matt

Hosting Services by ipHouse