The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Tuesday August 14, 2001 at 04:53
Local Cable Tech
Historic Forum Post
I worked in the DSS field for 5yrs and
Having recently upgraded a "Digital Cable System" of a competitor whose territory was recently aquired, I will say that all Cable systems are not equal, but neither are all DSS systems.

The digital cable I work with runs @ 1Ghz not 600mhz, and the mhz has to do with the amount of DATA able to be xfered not a clock speed as Dan has so wonderfully pointed out.

As for your Dolby Digital, Coax-Digital would seem to be the only option at this point unless Pioneer/Scientific Atlanta, Jerrold, and General Instrument are not telling us something. But curiosly were would your optic-TOS feed come from? Certainly you would not want Fiber-optic run into your home Currently that would be the only way to give you an optical-TOS output. Does any one know of a DSS that provides a opt-TOS output?

On most decent digital services you will find digital re-transmissions of those channels that are avilible to the Cable provider in digital on your Digital service and analog on those that are not avilible via digital transmissions or on your cable ready sets.

While having all channels in "Digital Format" on my DSS is nice. Analog scanned up to digital still looks like analog and shows off the limitations of the service that provided it. Try this, Record a tape to your Hard drive and then make a CD of it. Compare it to a real CD of the same thing. does it sound as good ? No, alas this is the same thing you get on Cable or DSS channels that are provided in Analog to and then "up-scaned" into digital.

All of the "real" digital boxes that I have worked with and owned have had an S-Video and an AC-3 Coax out.

IF your cable company wants to hook you box up to a phone line though, don't bother,This is called HITS digital and is garbage call on you local DSS providers and work with them instead. The lastest in Digital Cable and the latest in DSS have MANY things to offer us. Compare and contrast what is in your area and go with what is the best for you.

Most important.Don't buy the HYPE, buy the PRODUCT that suits you BEST, with the options YOU desire. Don't quibble about the money either. Pay for what you want. Then and only will you be satisfied. What DSS can do today your Cable provider maybe able to do tommorow, and visa-versa, so shop well and shop often.

Hosting Services by ipHouse