Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Saturday June 29, 2002 at 23:47
KentC
Lurking Member
June 2002
kabster,

Hmmm how much is your cable ?

Right now, $38 for basic, digital, music and 7 HBO channels. However, since 5 HBO channels are not coming in, in this area, they aren't charging me for all of HBO, which will be another $10, when they get the other channels up. I get the basic 74 channels (including all locals) and 101-165 digital, 50 odd music channels plus the HBO. When and if the other HBO's are up, I'll pay $48 compared to @$59 for a dish plus $4/month if I want to get the local channels.

They just added the digital service about a month ago, and the reception is excellent and quite a change from past reception. If the reception would have been the same as before - poor - I would have went with a dish.

One other consideration is (I'm assuming since I never had a dish) that if I want to use the 'twin view' (PIP) on my sony hi-scan, I'll need two receivers with the dish. Right now I can run the basic channels on one side of PIP and the digital on the other, which is nice. While I've read here that one can set up a dish to record one channel and watch another, I was unaware of that possibility at the time of deciding to go with cable. For me that is a must, since I tape all the Indian games, and watch other stuff during that time. I was glad to read that is possible now, so that a dish is possible in the future or when Adelphi turns off the switch. I think that they are in Chap 11 - which is "reorganization" (read: screw some creditors and stay in business), so I'll probably stay with cable for now, and at least for now, it is the best deal moneywise.

Kent

Hosting Services by ipHouse