Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Monday October 14, 2002 at 16:53
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
Ernie:

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, but I'll try to respond based on my best guess.

In trying to buy a cable box to use with my ReplayTV, I've decided that since it's legal to buy instead of rent, I'd rather make that choice because it will save me money in the long run.

In my younger, bachelor, and childless days, I might have been open to the possibility of buying a cable box that would let me descramble channels. But now I've decided that some "free" programming isn't worth the risk to my family that breaking the law entails. I bothered to mention this in my first post because I didn't want anyone who is currently in the moral position of my younger days to assume that I was criticizing them for their choices. Rather, my current viewpoint isn't based so much on the idea that stealing cable programming is "bad," but rather that as a husband and father, I have priorities now that mean much more to me than some "free" programming.

And, as you noted, I'd rather not set an example for my children that stealing is okay. As they grow up, they're going to make their own decisions about a great many things, regardless of my point of view. But, I'd rather not start them off by sending them down a path that could eventually lead to trouble.

So... to sum it up: There was a time when I might have chosen the cable box that descrambles, but now I'd rather be an honest consumer and, in doing so, free myself from any legal risks while simultaneously setting a good example for my kids.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your message and went off in a totally wrong direction. I tried my best to address your question as I understood it.

Thanks,
Dale
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse