The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Wednesday October 2, 2002 at 22:36
char0903
Lurking Member
July 2002
Sony has a product available in Japan and in Europe called the Cocoon. This device is TiVo like in that records broadcasts using a hard drive or hard drives. In this case it uses one 160GB with the option of a second to bring its capacity up to 320GB. From what I have been told this system has component video, optical audio, and coxial audio inputs. The system also requires the use of a broadband connection for reasons I'm not too clear on. Also, from what I understand, Sony is using their own software to run this system and not TiVo's. Although, they have the rights to use TiVo software. Unfortunately TiVo and their partner manufacturers have nothing coming to the U.S. market with large enough hard drives and inputs necessary to record HDTV signals. If allowed, systems could come out in a matter of months. However, most manufactuers are scared of lawsuits by the MPAA (a.k.a The Motion Picture Industry) who in turn are scared of being the next victims of piracy from a Napster / Morpheus like situation.

Hosting Services by ipHouse