The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday December 29, 2004 at 04:27
AronEA
Lurking Member
December 2004
Due to a recent addition to my A/V Setup (Thanks, Santa!), I'm now one device short on the 4-Device AT8400 remote which came with my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 Cable/DVR box. Looking first to Scientific Atlanta, they appear to make a 5-Device remote (AT8550) which would be compatible with my cable box, but it is not available from my cable operator. So, I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me with one of two solutions I see -- or offer a better solution!

1) Does anyone know where I can purchase a Scientific Atlanta AT8550 remote, since they only sell to cable operators? I also need to verify it will work with the Explorer 8000 box, since I can't get a response from SA's sales team.

- OR -

2) I need to select a (minimum) 5-Device remote, but need information about how a third-party remote will work with my Explorer 8000 box. For starters, the SA Remote uses three buttons, "A", "B", & "C", for many of their on-screen menus. None of the remotes I see have these buttons, which are critical for the DVR functions. I understand that there are learning remotes, but what good does this do when there aren't appropriate buttons to assign the programming to? Unfortunately the couple hundred dollar LCD Touch screen remotes are out of my price range... Help!

FYI: In case it's helpful, I'm looking to control the following devices: TV, VCR, DVD, Audio, & Cable/DVR Box.

Thank you so much for any thoughts you can share!

- Aron

Hosting Services by ipHouse